Ten Tips to Speed Up Your Home Inspection
Sellers can speed their home inspection by following these suggestions. The
inspection will go smoother, with fewer concerns to delay closing.
- Confirm that water, electric and gas service are
on, with gas pilot lights burning.
- Ensure pets won't hinder the inspection. Ideally,
they should be removed from premises or secured outside. Tell your agent about
any pets at home.
- Replace burned out bulbs to avoid a "Light is
inoperable" report that may suggest an electrical problem.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, and
replace dead batteries.
- Clean or replace dirty HVAC air filters. They
should fit securely.
- Remove stored items, debris and wood from
foundation. These may be cited as "conducive conditions" for termites.
- Remove items blocking access to HVAC equipment,
electric service panels, water heaters, attics and crawl spaces.
- Unlock areas the inspector must access - attic
doors or hatches, electric service panels, closets, fence gates and crawl
- Trim tree limbs to 10' from the roof and shrubs
from the house to allow access.
- Attend to broken or missing items like doorknobs,
locks and latches; windowpanes, screens and locks; gutters, downspouts and
Checking these areas before your home inspection is an investment in selling
your property. Your real estate agent will thank you!